Saturday, August 6, 2011

"The Final Letter" Part 2

I still remember the day I found out that my precious friend, Agnes, called me and said that the cancer had spread throughout her body.  Stunned, I asked her how she was doing emotionally after receiving the diagnosis.  She said, "Ann, I'm in a win-win situation.  If I live, I win and if I die, I win. I will see Jesus!"  I was still reeling from her diagnosis, trying to process it, feeling the weight over the words "cancer spread throughout my body." I was not emotionally prepared for her "win-win" statement. Agnes is not the kind of woman who speaks frivolously. When she says something, she means it with every fiber of her being.


It has been about two years since that phone call. Here is part two of the message she wrote to her local church:




"I want to encourage you that no matter how you have been doing on this journey of life, there is still time to finish well. And for those who have been running the race well, maintain your focus, because you don't want to slip up now and finish poorly.


One of the greatest Biblical examples of finishing well in the journey of life is the Apostle Paul.  Paul did not start out so well.  He was a persecutor of the first Christians.  He was even there at the stoning of Stephen, giving his approval. But the Lord gave him the opportunity for a fresh start.  He then took the next steps of faith and he continued on the journey.  He stood firm when things did not seem fair and he finished well.  His last act of life on planet Earth was one of faithfulness even as he faced execution from a Roman soldier.  He finished well.


Paul, nearing execution, was concerned for others to come to salvation.  How is it that Paul is able to face knowing his end was coming, yet he confronted the end of his race, the end of his journey of life and still be focused on winning others to Christ?  It is because Paul is focused on the eternal, not the temporary.  If we are going to finish well, we need to keep our focus on eternity as well.  Keeping our focus on the eternal is what is going to enable us to do the other things that are required for finishing well.


What other things are required to finish well? First, Fighting the Good Fight.  Notice this does not say fight each other, but fight the good fight.  What is fighting the good fight?  Hebrews describes fighting the good fight as running with perseverance."


Part three of Agnes's final letter to her church will be continued.  I want us to take each part and really digest what is being said.  Remember the last words someone shares are imbued with all their life and soul.


Pastor Ann Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment